10 October 2010

Interview with a Tiger

Over the weekend, I had the special honor of spending a little time with Mike the Tiger just before the game against the University of Florida's Gators (what a game....but that's a whole 'nother post!!!).  It was an extra special privilege because Mike hasn't granted an interview since the Barbara Walters debacle when she asked him one of her famously strange questions:  "If you were an animal, what animal would you be?"  Hellooooo.....Barbara.......Have you forgotten rule #1 of celebrity interviewing???  Do your research!!!!  Sheesh!!!


When we arrived at the hotel that was hosting Mike and the rest of the LSU gang, Mike was waiting for us in the lobby at the front desk.  After entertaining hotel guests by playing the piano ("Hey, Fightin' Tigers" of course) he spent some time playing with my children, getting them pumped up for the game that night.  Then, it was time for the interview.


I found Mike to be an amazingly charming Tiger, but that may have been because, unlike Barbara Walters, I did my research.  I showed up wearing an LSU t shirt, so immediately he knew we had something in common and felt comfortable.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he proposed to me.  Unfortunately for Mike, I'm already taken, but even though I had to turn down his proposal, he was very open to answering all of my questions.

Mike, how did you get into the mascot business?  And why did you choose LSU as the place to call home?

It all started about 74 years ago.  I was living in the Little Rock Zoo.  I didn't really have a favorite school or team at the time, but I did know that I hated all that "Woooooo. Pig. Sooie!" stuff.   I heard that LSU was looking for a mascot.  They were already called the Tigers, and I am a tiger, so that was a fit.  I have always loved the combination of the colors purple and gold, so that seemed to be a match.   Plus, I  had always heard that those cajuns can cook, and us Tigers.....well, we love a good meal.  So, I applied for the job, and got it!!  As soon as I arrived in Baton Rouge, I knew that it was the place I'd call my home forever.  The people there are amazing, the campus is beautiful, and the fans are the best you'll ever meet.  Nowadays, there's no other way I'd like to spend a Saturday than cheering on my LSU football team, win or lose.  For me, there's no question....it's FOREVER LSU!!!

If you could meet anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would it be and what question would you like to ask them?

I've been very lucky in my life and have met some really amazing people....Y. A. Tittle, Bert Jones, Tommy Hodson, and my personal favorite, Billy Cannon.  There's really no one else I feel like I need to meet.  But, if I must answer your question, I guess I'd like to meet Albert Einstein.  I've been wondering if he thinks that a new theory of light and matter is needed to explain what happens at very high energies and temperatures.  For example, in the case of gamma ray bursts, photons of radiation can crash into each other and create new matter.  In such cases, the distinction between matter and energy grows blurry.  Throw in magnetism, and physicists can only make rough guesses about what happens in these hellish settings.   What about that, Einstein?

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three items would you take with you?

1.  A fishing pole....gotta pass the time somehow.  Even though I'm well equipped to catch fish without a rod and reel, I enjoy traditional fishing as well.
2.  A can of Tony Chachere's and a bottle of Tabasco....gotta season the fish I catch.  
3.  Les Miles.... He seems to be able to get out of just about any sticky situation lately.  Surely he'd have a trick play up his sleeve to get us off the island....just before the clock runs out, no doubt.

Boxers or Briefs?

Depends on the day....but regardless, they're always purple and gold.


Don't forget to vote for Mike!!!!!  Text "Mike" to 69866 or visit www.capitalonebowl.com/vote/main

GEAUX MIKE!!!!!




I'd like to thank all of the staff at LSU that made our meeting in Florida possible:  Pauline Zernott, LSU Cheerleading Coach;  Craig Pintens, LSU Assistant A. D.;  and of course, the AMAZING Mike the Tiger.   We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Mike.  The whole day, from beginning (pics with Mike) to end (VICTORY FOR LSU in the Swamp) was one our family will never forget!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!














1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved your story on Mike the Tiger and Mike V. LSU Tigers are something very special.