04 October 2010

The Tiger Whisperer

Not only do LSU fans adore Mike the Tiger, but also Mike the Tiger adores them....some more than others. 

I've been an LSU fan for a long while, and I've spent a decent amount of time over the years admiring both Mike V and Mike VI in their habitats.  I'd love to say that every time I visit Mike, he recognizes me, gives me a wink and a smile, and strikes a pose for my ever ready camera, but that just isn't the case.  Most of the time, I can catch him sunning himself or relaxing in the shade.  Sometimes he is even pacing around showing off his graceful, fluid movement.  On a few very lucky occasions I was able to watch him playing and splashing around in his pool.  Of course there are also the disappointing times when I've made the special trip over to campus and couldn't even catch the slightest glimpse of those beautiful stripes. 

I've heard stories about a few folks (outside of his caretakers/doctors/etc.) to whom Mike really responds, but I have never witnessed it for myself.  I even have a personal friend who tells me he has developed somewhat of a friendship with the Tiger, and I've seen some great still photos of him with Mike.  But there is one fellow, Darrell Bezet, who has become somewhat of a local celebrity for the special way that Mike reacts to him.  Before I moved to Gator country (ughhhh!!!), I kept telling myself that I needed to make a trip over to the LSU campus around the 9 am hour to watch the latest so-called "Tiger Whisperer" work his magic.  I regret that I never made more of an effort to get over there before I left Baton Rouge, because after seeing video, I imagine that in person it is quite a sight to see.

The relationship between Bezet and Mike VI cannot be explained by anyone or with any words....you just have to see it for yourself.  In case you aren't lucky enough to be on N. Stadium Road in Baton Rouge on just about any given morning, the followingYouTube video posted by an LSU student is an amazing video documentation of just one of many interactions between the tiger and "The Tiger Whisperer." (it starts to get really good at 2:11 for all you impatient people...)



To find out more about Bezet and his relationship with Mike VI, read this article published by LSU's student magazine, Legacy, in April of this year.

To vote for Mike the Tiger in the Capital One Mascot Challenge, please text "Mike" to 69866 or visit www.capitalonebowl.com/vote/main

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I love this! Geaux Mike!!!!